Friday, January 22, 2016

The Summer Set - "Figure Me Out"


The Summer Set dropped a surprise yesterday with a new song, "Figure Me Out," and the announcement of a new album, Stories For Monday, which drops on April 1st. Let me say...I am ELATED that the band is coming back to the music scene.

Not gonna lie, I was getting real scared that they were gonna pull a Nightmare and the Cat and just drop off the face of the earth without notice or a formal announcement. They sure proved me wrong. However, they were on an unofficial break. Some time ago, I went to Ryan Cabrera's birthday bash in Venice and saw TSS drummer Jess Bowen performing with another band--a guest performance, no doubt, but it was just weird to see her with another group.

When TSS released their video yesterday (check it out below!), lead vocalist Brian Dales shared some personal info in his Instagram post stating that he'd almost given up on music, and the lyrics spell it out for listeners as well.



If you listen to the words, Dales legitimately tells the sad tale of my life. Not in a "like omg this song is about me" kind of way. This song is for the trekking souls who left their homes and are currently living in heartbreak city of Los Angeles. Los Angeles is supposed to be the place for opportunity and chances, but 90% of the time, it just kicks you in the balls and takes a heavy toll on your emotions and well-being.

Sorry--getting distracted with all my problems; there's more to life than all that shit. The point I was making is that Dales paints the emotions very well, saying things such as:

Cuz I don’t fit in with the in crowd
But I’m too Hollywood to go back to my hometown
‘Cause they think that I’m famous
When I know I’m a fraud
Who got too fucked up on the finer things
To remember who he forgot


...

I'd much rather die trying to make something sacred
Than live as another YouTube sensation

'Cause I hate that they're famous
For being something they're not
While I’m too hung up on the things I don’t have
To appreciate what I’ve got


(But really, listen to every single word he says...)

The song inspires me, and I'm sure more people, to pick up the pieces of broken dreams, broken hearts and start over again with a fresh new perspective for the future. With all of the passion played through all the instruments--especially Dales' piano playing--the song exudes uplifting vibes, and it's a breath of fresh air.


Keep it up, The Summer Set. This girl sure is glad you're back in the game and can't wait to get your album on April 1st!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment