Friday, January 15, 2016

Panic! At The Disco - "Death of a Bachelor" Album

If I may get cliche here for a second...this. album. is. FIRE.


Death of a Bachelor is the fifth offering from Panic! At The Disco, or...the first "solo" album of Brendon Urie. With Brendon being the last remaining member, I pondered what direction he would take the sound. Two words: Frank Sinatra. He's admitted to being a big fan and even makes a tribute to him on the album. I gotta say, he channels Sinatra quite well. (Uhh, have you seen the "Death of a Bachelor" video?) (Oh, and listen to the closing ballad "Impossible Year" !)


DOAB moves away from the traditional rock band outfit and exudes an old-timey, '20s, burlesque, whatever you want to call it, vibe. One thing for sure is that from start to end, every song is truly a jamming gem as Brendon keeps things BIG, bangin' and theatrical with blaring trumpets and pounding drums, and before you know it, the album is over. It plays through its entirety so quickly, especially with songs like "LA Devotee," speeding by like a zooming car ride down Mulholland Drive, which he literally depicts in the song.

Since this is the first time Brendon is the sole focus of Panic!, I feel like his vocals shine pristinely more than ever. He soars in the stratosphere with higher notes and a higher register, all in, what sounds like, full-chest voice--which, trust me (as a singer), is no easy feat. I'm 110% for it. Not only does he pump energy in his live performances, you can hear it on record as well, and that gets me so stoked for his upcoming tour with Weezer and Andrew McMahon, which he announced today.

Even though Panic! At The Disco isn't the same lineup or sound that it used to be, I'm glad someone is still spearheading the project. I've been listening to them since my freshman year of high school, and they will always be irreplaceable to me. Thank you, Brendon, for making this album. I absolutely adore and it will probably be playing in my car, at my office, when I work out and more for a long while.

Standout tracks: "Hallelujah" | "Emperor's New Clothes" | "Death of a Bachelor"



xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment