Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My Tribute to David Bowie

I felt like the world stood still when the news broke out that David Bowie passed away. Everyone had a moment of silence in remembrance of him. Everyone turned back time and listened to the many years of music made by him. Everyone was united together by the loss of the great David Bowie.

Personally I was not a die-hard fan, but I was aware of his genius and respected his prestige--thank my parents for that. However, my fondest memory of him was when he was starring in the movie Labyrinth.


The movie itself is kinda weird and fantastical--an interesting adventure for Jennifer Connelly's character--and much like her in the ballroom scene (video below), I found myself mystified by David Bowie, even in his long mane.

David passed away from battling cancer for 18 months, two days after his 69th birthday and the release of his album ★ (Blackstar). We got the album at the office, so I took a listen...

..he's always dubbed as someone from another world, another planet, outer space, etc. and to a degree, I agree. Again, I wasn't an avid David Bowie fan, so at first listen, I simply think his sound is an acquired taste. I hear a combination of both cinematic and fantastical qualities on this album. He has a unique sound like no other--that I've never heard--and that's not a bad thing. It leads off with a 10-minute "Blackstar," which has an eerie, melancholic vibe to it, then progresses into more upbeat songs. One of my favorite elements is his incorporation of the saxophone, which makes an appearance in almost every song. It's sooo nice to listen to.

The real tear-jerker here is "Lazarus," where he quite literally says...

Look up here, I’m in heaven 
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen 
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen 
Everybody knows me now 


Look up here, man, I’m in danger 
I’ve got nothing left to lose 
I’m so high it makes my brain whirl 
Dropped my cell phone down below

And later on he says he'll be free just like the blue bird.

In the video, he's in a hospital bed singing these sad words, and it's as if he's already accepted his fate and prepped us all for his untimely passing. If no one knew who David Bowie was, they certainly do now.

There is much to be said about David Bowie, as I'm sure most people have explored on the Internet. Though I never dedicatedly invested in him and his music, I can appreciate all that he's done for music and for his fans, and I know that the world lost another great one.

RIP David Bowie

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment